In support of those who think they don’t know how to meditate (I really think it’s a natural thing), I have a simple starter approach.
1. Find a quiet place to sit or lay down
2. If you like sound, set up sound that is soothing, such as nature tunes. Something simple and easy.
3. If you’re eyes are sensitive to light, cover them with a cloth or eye mask, etc.
4. Lay or sit down in a comfortable position
5. Place your hands in a comfortable place. Common places are over the belly, over the heart, or I like one on the belly and one on the heart. Hand positions can bring about subtle feelings and emotions that are useful.
6. Begin by just breathing in slowly and out slowly and deeply. Relax your chest and try to let the abdomen expand and contract with the breath. Let your body slowly start to relax.
7. Soon you might notice yourself feeling more relaxed both physically and mentally. You are beginning to enter into the mental zone of meditation.
That’s it! It’s that simple. Next stay with that mental zone, and just let your mind be as empty as it can be. What ever thoughts arise, do not focus on them for now, just focus on your relaxing and breathing. The more you practice this, the easier it will be to let go of the thoughts for these times. Your mind will get used to this relaxed practice and it will help you tremendously.